Offer more for less
I’ve been using Booking.com for more than a decade, booking hotels every now and then. I have my Genius Level 2 status and though I’ve earned it after a certain amount of reservation. Isn’t it the way how Loyalty Programs work?
For the purpose of this research, I registered a fresh account with no booking history. I was surprised that after several clicks on a promotion section I was granted a Genius Level 1 status. Nobody reads small prints nowadays. Yet different badges and status levels trick our brain and affect the conversion.
- As a Genius I was reminded about the Loyalty exclusive deals at least 3 times only on the home page.
- During the hotel and room selections phases I was reminded many more times about reservation benefits with booking.com:
- Badges (Genius, Travel Offer, Secret deal, thumb up icon, “Great for…”)
- “We Price Match”
- “No credit card needed to book”
- “Breakfast included”
- “Confirmation is immediate”
- “No booking or credit card fees!”
- “Free cancellation”
- “No prepayment needed”
- “10% Genius Discount”
- “Free room upgrade”
- And red-crossed price as a symbol of a value deal
- And many many more…
From the homepage till the booking confirmation guests are literally bombarded with hundreds of messages claiming the best offer on booking.com. After so much repetition it is hard to doubt it.
- Booking.com uses perks that hotels generously offer for guests and make it look like it’s Booking.com offers benefits.